Saturday, September 8, 2012

Student Reflections

As we neared the end of the student meeting and of our time in Ribeirao Preto, I asked our students a few questions about their experience here in Brazil. Here is what they had to say...

Q: Please tell us about one special person you have met in Brazil.

Vivian: I can't just pick one! Everyone here has been so incredibly friendly, especially all of my new friends who have been interpreting between Portuguese and English for me.

Vivian and two of her new friends 
Q: How is your life in Dallas different from the life of the Ursuline students here in Brazil?

Vivian: I thought Americans snacked a lot but these guys have like 5 coffee / snack breaks a day in addition to the 3 main meals of the day. I've always been a light eater but Brazilians love to feed me... their food is kind of perfect ... I am in love with Brazilian food!


Vivian enjoying the delicious tropical foods of Brazil
Q: What have you learned about yourself on this trip?

Marisela: I have learned so much about myself !! I did things that I never would have done back home! I tested my limits with all the activities and if I failed I got back up and tried again. I learned that I can look fear in the eye and overcome it. Most importantly, I learned to trust myself... 

Marisela flys through the air at the Eco Resort
Q: What would you like to tell your friends at Ursuline Dallas about Brazil and the students here?

Marisela: UA - You MUST come to Brazil! It is amazing! I have never felt more at home and so loved by strangers.... It is an experience you will never regret. Ursuline Brazil, I LOVE YOU! You have opened your arms to us and welcomed us immensely! I wish I could put you in my luggage and take you back to the USA. I have learned so much and will NEVER forget you and all you have done for me!!

Marisela and a few of her new (and old) friends
Q: Any other comment?

Marisela: I feel that this trip should become a trip for more Ursuline girls to experience. It should remain for girls who see the problems in our world and want to fix them. This conference has been one of the most enjoyable and inspiring moments I have ever had in my four years at Ursuline. Thank you for letting me come here and for showing me a world I never knew!
Marisela reluctantly saying goodbye at the Ribeirao Preto Airport
We loved hearing what our students had to say about being in Brazil. More student reflections coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment